Thursday 26 May 2011

Forever Fringed

Every so often, I come across a trend that I just cant let go of, even when it is considered "over" I will still be wearing it.  Fringing is going to be one of these trends.

Fringerd jackets, bags, necklaces, shoes, shorts, leggings....ITS ALL OUT THERE....there is no point in me linking this post to one specific site, just try all the usuals, topshop, Urban outfitters, ASOS.com.





The best thing about it, is the DIY aspect.  I am always broke, to the point where sometimes I cannot buy any clothes and have to recycle.  This is where fringing is perfect.  I probably have over 100 old t shirts lying about, and if like me your a T shirt girl its sooooo easy to fringe it yourself.  Heres how I do it....

1.  Firstly, put the T-shirt on and make a small mark in pencil or pen if you dont care at the lenght u want the T-shirt stop and fringe to begin.  Do this so that you dont end up with the tee too cropped and the fringe showing bits of your stomach your not willing to show.

2.  Lay the T shirt out as flat as possible on a hard surface like a wooden floor. (carpet will not keep the t shirt flat and just gets in the way as the fabric clings to it).

3.  Find the mark you made and with a ruler continue it along both sides of the Tee to make sure all your fringing is the same lenght.

4.  With any kind of household scissors start at the side of the tee and cut up to the line you have made.  I HIGHLY recommend making each cut approx half an inch from each other.  This is because when you wash the t shirt the little pieces of cut fringing will curl in on each other and become very thin and stringy.

5.  Continue this until both sides of the Tee are done, dont be too fussy about cutting in straight lines etc as it wont matter once it is washed and they curl in, the only thing you need to worry about is sticking to the line you have drawn.


Heres my first attempt I did a few weeks ago in my friend Joys bedroom because i had no top to wear out.  Try cutting the sleeves off to make it feel less like a T-Shirt.


Also, heres my new fave necklace...from H &M for £6.99

No comments: